Making the patchstick easier to update
To make it easier to update, how about creating a small base partition (with the scripts, launchd, kexts, boot.efi and kernel), and have a second partition with any additional software to copy over to the aTV's internal disk.
- great idea, whoever suggested this :) I'll get on it right away! - Mactijn 11:53, 9 April 2007 (CEST)
- is this what you meant ? :) - Mactijn 15:39, 9 April 2007 (CEST)
- Exactly what I was thinking :) That makes things far easier. I won't be able to play any more until next week though :( Good work! - dobedobedoh 16:19, 9 April 2007 (CEST)
Boot Progress Indicator
OK, the instructions have changed since I did this last weekend, but when I was running through this using my first-gen iPod Shuffle, there was no clear indicator when the process had finished and it was safe to reboot. My Apple TV showed the grey Apple logo and then the spinner progress indicator, but it never went away. I had left it for 15 minutes before I had assumed it failed or just wasn't showing something on my end. Luckily, it worked, but I had no confirmation. So, either I did something wrong or this needs to be fixed so others don't get confused.
- Apparently you didn't use the com.apple.Boot.plist on the wiki page. Also, you added a Bootlogo.png. This is a problem right now, since above is only a concept. We're still working on animated installation, but we need a way to put images on the frame buffer. - Mactijn 11:29, 14 April 2007 (CEST)
Thanks, worked great but needed a larger root partition on the stick
Thanks, i followed the procedure and it worked great. The only deviation: required a larger root partition to copy over all the extensions. I suppose your could be choose about what partitions your copy over, but i was too impatient, and just copied over everything. When copying over sshd/perian it output some errors, but they did not matter. cheers,
- The root partition size is based on copying only the .kext stuff listed on the bottom of the page. -- Mactijn 11:26, 14 April 2007 (CEST)
Patchstick hangs during boot
I have been trying to get this to work on a clean atv box for a couple of days now, and I've run into a problem. The atv is able to boot off the usb disk, but hangs after a certain point. To make matters worse, the text is half off the screen. From what I can see it doesn't appear to get past mounting the root partition Screenshot. Has anyone run into this before, or have any idea what I need to do to get this working?
I have the exactly same problem. I found that the launchd script uses the commands sync and echo which are not copied to sbin in the procedure. This doesn't fix the problem. If the launchd file is missing there is a boot error regarding launchd and sbin/mach_int