To install, just copy the plug-in to /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/PlugIns on your Apple TV.
After it's in place on the Apple TV, you need to restart Finder (either with killall Finder if you have killall installed, otherwise use ps awx|grep Finder to get the PID and then kill PID.)
http://plugins.awkwardtv.org/ (Submit yours here) We are working on a plug-in that accesses this directory and installs/updates plug-ins online.
Ideas for Plug-ins
(Please comment if you are working on one of these)
Without fully knowing what kind of capabilities are possible, here are some suggested plugins. Someone with some more development knowledge can perhaps update this section letting us know what capabilities we have here (can we run any objective-c code? Can we display anything, or are we limited to the list view?)
- OSX Mame loader, list provides selection of roms to play
- YouTube Popular video browser
- Weather Plug-in
- System Stats (load, drive space, memory, etc)
- Simple Web Browser (based on webkit, loads bookmarks, no text input)
- A plug-in downloader and maintainer (See Patchstick for more info)
- A plug-in to list your subscriptions and stream videos from Easyschmooze.com
RSS Readersee here
- iChat or Jabber
- Security Camera Video Surveillance
- Salling Clicker or Romeo
- Address Book - See this unix tool for accessing the OS X addressbook
- Plug-in manager, so that you don't have all yout plugins in the main menu
- BitTorrent client
- Player for Quartz Composer Compositions ( .qtz files )
- Player for Slingbox
FRAppliance 101 - a great introduction to writing plugins.
ericIII from the AwkwardTV crew has created a plug-in for the Apple TV that, like Sabertooth’s plugin, hooks into the main Apple TV GUI. However, this one plays videos, and sports a (for now, hardcoded) list of .AVI files that are not located in the Media Library.
ApplianceTest Source Code.