To install, just copy the plugin to /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/PlugIns on your Apple TV.
After it's in place on the Apple TV, you need to restart Finder (either with killall Finder if you have killall installed, otherwise use ps awx|grep Finder to get the PID and then kill PID.)
- ATVFiles - file browser/player
- ATVWakeOnLan - wake up remote servers
- Stove.frappliance - Heat your house, cook some eggs...
Without fully knowing what kind of capabilities are possible, here are some suggested plugins. Someone with some more development knowledge can perhaps update this section letting us know what capabilities we have here (can we run any objective-c code? Can we display anything, or are we limited to the list view?)
- Weather Plugin
- System Stats (load, drive space, memory, etc)
- Simple Web Browser (based on webkit, loads bookmarks, no text input)
- Option to quit AppleTV from the menu
FRAppliance 101 - a great introduction to writing plugins.
ericIII from the AwkwardTV crew has created a plugin for the Apple TV that, like Sabertooth’s plugin, hooks into the main Apple TV GUI. However, this one plays videos, and sports a (for now, hardcoded) list of .AVI files that are not located in the Media Library.
ApplianceTest Source Code.