NitoTV Take 3
nitoTV take 3 - For AppleTV 2G Take 3: 4.1
Current Version: 0.5
Release date: Nov 11th, 2010
Current as of: Nov 11th, 2010
This appliance is a continuation of nitoTV on AppleTV 1G. Right now we just have weather and RSS support implemented, will try and get the rest of the original functionality implemented as soon as possible.
This appliance is Copyright © 2007-2010 nito llc. All Rights Reserved.
- Moved installation to a main menu category
- added some featured packages to find popular packages easily,
- fixed awkwardtv repo to reflect recent updates + download the repo signing key.
Another bug fix release. HDMI unplug/replug is no longer necessary on boot, we also attempt to force the AppleTV to join the top most item in the wifi settings plist.
- Added Updater
- Ability to search for custom Deb package
- Bug fixes
- Bug fixes
- Initial Release, Weather and RSS support only.
Step 1: Jailbreak your Apple TV2 per instructions here.
Step 2: On your mac, use terminal to SSH into your Apple TV2. The default password is "alpine".
Step 3: Change your password (if you haven't already)! Type:-
Step 4: To install NitoTV and restart Lowtide, type:-
apt-get install wget wget http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16129573/com.nito.deb dpkg -i com.nito.deb apt-get update apt-get install com.nito.nitotv killall Lowtide
Step 5: Enjoy :)
to anyone getting an error like this "The following signatures couldnt be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 89711CE585F73AB5" you need to install the awkwardtv.pub key, follow the directions below: (while ssh'ed in)
apt-get install wget wget -O- http://apt.awkwardtv.org/awkwardtv.pub | apt-key add -
If you've already installed a 0.1 or 0.2, you should do the following steps to upgrade when new releases come out>
- SSH into your Apple TV 2G
- Run the following commands:
apt-get update apt-get -u upgrade killall Lowtide
- Unplug and replug HDMI cable if you're having difficulties
From 0.3b on, and Updater is included under NitoTV Settings.
Alot of people have been asking about this, and I thought/hoped there would be a more elegant solution at this point, but since there isnt i'm putting up instructions for how i do it.
1. ssh in: ssh root@AppleTV.local
2. download cycript: (its in the featured section) or apt-get install cycript
3. download nano: (also in featured) or apt-get install nano
4. nano /usr/libexec/ss.cy
5. add the following
#!/usr/bin/cycript [awkScreenShot awkSaveScreenToFile:@"/Screenshot.png"];
6. ctrl-x to exit y to save
7. echo "alias screencapture='cycript -p Lowtide /usr/libexec/ss.cy'" >> /etc/profile
8. exit and re-ssh in.
at this point typing in screencapture SHOULD save Screenshot.png to root. If it does not you may need to change ownership on root via: chown mobile:staff ./
for anyone interested in localizing nitoTV in another language: http://nitosoft.com/ATV2/Localizable.strings replace the strings on the right. For now just pastie.org the files on and tweet them to me at nitoTV. There will be an email address for nitoTV submissions/questions in the future.
Adding feeds to RSS and Weather (after deleting original feeds) plugin crashes.
The following is the list of features that are highest priority of the flavor of nitoTV. There is no particular time frame, some of these things may not even be possible to replicate from older versions. Inclusion on this list isn't a promise or a guarantee that these things can be done, but we'll do our best.
1. Codec Support (Native MPlayer or VLC implementation) 2. AFP/SMB/NFS Support 3. DVD folder/ISO Playback
There will be more information added to this page pending my time to think of it, or do it.