As you probably know, AppleTV is a set-top box manufactured by Apple. Out of the box, it is enabled to stream digital content from any computer running iTunes. As there is little information provided about what is going on "under the hood" of the AppleTV, this is a place to collect and share information.
This website is dedicated to finding additional uses for the Apple TV by (legitimately) enabling its Potential Capabilities, and is a place for the community to share ideas, discoveries and solutions.
- USB port works. Keyboard, mouse working.
- http://digg.com/apple/Asterisk_running_on_an_Apple_TV (unfortunately no duggmirror available)
- AppleTV plugin that plays movies (duggmirror) +++ Dicuss on the Plugins Wiki page
- Enabling of USB has started
Please feel free to contribute! We are all learners at this stage ;-)
(Please put your projects here)
- How to upgrade hard drive with GUI tools($100) or CLI
- How to upgrade hard drive using command line. (more pictures)
- How To Play Xvid and Divx Videos on Apple TV
- InsanelyMac Apple TV resource compilation
- Apache on Apple TV
- Enable Internet Sharing (work in progress)
- Install Developer Tools (work in progress)
- Turbo's AppleTV hacks @ 0xfeedbeef. USB Keyboard works with these hacks!
- Linux on Apple TV (progressing daily)
- Backup your original Hard Drive Save a bit perfect image before you play!
- Prepare a Hard Drive for use in the AppleTV
- Enabling USB and boot from USB (External Hard Drive)
- Enable SSH Without Opening the Apple TV (work in progress)
- Configure Firewall
- Install SSH
- Install System Preferences
- Mount ReadWrite
- Mount a Remote Drive via AFP
- Mount a Remote Drive via NFS
- Replace Finder
- Enable Verbose Boot
- Enable AFP Server (Personal File Sharing)
- Working with ASL (Syslog)
- Enable Remote Desktop (VNC)
- Enable Quartz Extreme and Quartz 2D Extreme (To Speed Up Certain Applications)
- How To 'Enable' Mouse Cursor/Pointer on the AppleTV
- Uncompress LZSS compressed files like mach_kernel.prelink
- AppleTV FrontRow on Intel Mac Installing ATV's FrontRow 2.0 UI on a Mac
- Apple TV OS 10.4.7 and file list of a virgin Apple TV -- List of new files (not present in retail OSX)
- Boot Process
- osputil command-line program to control the LED
- dmesg output
- Ps output
- glQuery output
- kextstat output
- Media Library
- Open Source 10.4.8 Components you can install on Apple TV
Third party software
- Codec Sources
- Remote Buddy
- nano Excellent, lightweight text editor for scripts and such.
- vim Another classic text editor.
- MacPorts suggestions to bootstrap the MacPorts infrastructure natively
- Xbench 1.3 Benchmark
- Connecting drive to PowerPC Mac makes drive unbootable (successes reported inside as well)
- Apple TV HDMI "Green Screen" bug
Tried & Working Video
- 720p Xvid
- MKV with VLC (Coming in perian 1.0 for Quicktime)
- .vob(DVDrip) with VLC (Menu, subtitles, 5.1 surround working)