Welcome to the AwkwardTV Wiki
As you probably know, Apple TV is a set-top box manufactured by Apple. Out of the box, it is enabled to stream digital content from any computer running iTunes. As there is little information provided about what is going on "under the hood" of the Apple TV, this is a place to collect and share information.
This website is dedicated to finding additional uses for the Apple TV by (legitimately) enabling its Potential Capabilities, and is a place for the community to share ideas, discoveries and solutions. It is for informational purposes only. AwkwardTV is not responsible if you void your warranty or damage your device.
Plug-ins directory and instructions
FRAppliance_101 - Tutorial for creating new PlugIns
Advanced BackRow Coding - An Ongoing Series
Plug-in Developers Note Pad - Snippits of information that may help others.
Forum: AwkwardTV project forums
How To Section
(Please put your projects here-- in categories)
- Booting from a USB Thumbdrive Pre-made 256MB image for testing; small download
- Boot.efi Information An effort to understand the boot.efi file format
- Linux on Apple TV Our AppleTV-Linux Resource Guide (work in progress)
- Patchstick A project to build a Darwin kernel plus tools to have a 100% legitimate way of enabling hacks on the ATV (without opening case) (work in progress)
Awkward Project Wikis
- ATVFiles Plugin to play back video files that are not in the Apple TV library.
- ATVFiles Cover Downloader Script to download dvd/tv/hddvd cover images for ATVFiles
- Streamer Streaming Audio player, using MPlayer.
- ATV Loader Download and install new appliance plugins, enable and disable SSH and AFP access to your AppleTV.
- Emulation Efforts to test and tweak compatibility regarding Game Emulation. (work in progress)
- Install Developer Tools (work in progress)
- Patch Over Network - Patching AppleTV over the network (without opening case) (work in progress)
- Enable Internet Sharing (work in progress)
- Volume control Control the volume (analogue) with the remote control + and - (during playback) (work in progress)
- HD DVD Playback Enable USB-based XBOX HD-DVD Player to allow regular or HighDefinition DVDs with DVD Player.app
- How to upgrade hard drive with GUI tools ($100) or CLI
- How to upgrade hard drive using command line. (more pictures)
- Macworld's in-depth (mostly CLI) hard drive upgrade tutorial with pics.
- InsanelyMac Apple TV resource compilation
- Apache on Apple TV
- Turbo's AppleTV hacks @ 0xfeedbeef. A wealth of information, especially USB related.
- How to set up the Apple TV skin for XBMC
- Running mt-daapd/Firefly (iTunes server) on ATV
- Hardware Profile
- Sysctl output
- Various diskutil command results
- Power Usage
- Airport Card in MacBook Pro or intel MacMini
Does anybody fancy upgrading their RAM using a SMD removal kit? http://www.rsrelectronics.com/sdr_smd1.htm
- Apple TV OS 10.4.7
- Boot Process
- osputil command-line program to control the LED
- dmesg output
- Ps output
- glQuery output
- kextstat output
- kernel_settings.xml (by n8man)
- Media Library
- Open Source 10.4.8 Components you can install on Apple TV
- XML Downloaded By ATV
Third party software
- Codec Sources
- Remote Buddy
- nano Excellent, lightweight text editor for scripts and such.
- vim Another classic text editor.
- MacPorts suggestions to bootstrap the MacPorts infrastructure natively
- Xbench 1.3 Benchmark
- Connecting drive to PowerPC Mac makes drive unbootable (successes reported inside as well)
- Apple TV HDMI "Green Screen" bug
Tried & Working Video
- 720p Xvid
- 720p Divx (Perian)
- MKV with VLC (Coming in perian 1.0 for Quicktime)
- .vob(DVDrip) with VLC (Menu, subtitles, 5.1 surround working). No skip on network play (802.11g) if you setup a buffer in vlc options.
- MPEG2 using QT MPEG-2 Component. 720p and 1080i playback was very choppy.
- WMV using Flip4Mac WMV Import component.
- .vob on a DVD pl
- Latest svn of Perian works with .srt subtitles.
- List of file formats working on Apple TV
- How to get iTunes to sync other video formats to Apple TV