As you probably know, Apple TV is a set-top box manufactured by Apple. Out of the box, it is enabled to stream digital content from any computer running iTunes. As there is little information about what is going on "under the hood" of the Apple TV, this is a place to collect and share information. This website is dedicated to finding additional uses for the Apple TV by (legitimately) expanding its capabilities.
Especially, users have been wanting to:
- Stream/sync additional formats (codecs)
- Increase internal storage and connect external storage
- Control the Apple TV remotely, e.g. by SSH or ARD
This wiki is a place for the community to share ideas, discoveries and solutions.
You can find us on IRC: #awkwardtv on irc.moofspeak.net. Register your Nick
Please feel free to contribute! We are all learners at this stage ;-)
(Please put your projects here)
- Upgrade hard drive http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-entertainment/diy-apple-tv-hard-drive-upgraded-to-120gb-246567.php
- Xvid using Perian on the Apple TV http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2391956
- InsanelyMac Apple TV resource compilation http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=46241
- Apple TV OS 10.4.7 and file list of a virgin Apple TV -- Files not in retail OSX
- dmesg output
- Ps output