Welcome to the AwkwardTV Wiki
As you probably know, Apple TV is a set-top box manufactured by Apple. Out of the box, it is enabled to stream digital content from any computer running iTunes. As there is little information provided about what is going on "under the hood" of the Apple TV, this is a place to collect and share information.
This website is dedicated to finding additional uses for the Apple TV by (legitimately) enabling its Potential Capabilities, and is a place for the community to share ideas, discoveries and solutions. It is for informational purposes only. AwkwardTV is not responsible if you void your warranty or damage your device.
- "Mac nano": Mac OS X can run on Apple TV, Google video.
- Connect the 2.5" IDE drive to a USB/FW bridge without having to remove it, use a M/M 2.5" ide adapter from here
- ATVFiles released. Plugin for Apple TV that plays video files without transcoding and syncing/streaming them.
- USB port works. Keyboard, mouse working. Youtube video.
- Asterisk running on an Apple TV (Digg): Instructions from l0rdr0ck
- AppleTV plugin that plays movies (duggmirror): Dicuss on the Plugins Wiki page
- awkwardTV gets press in Germany
- "DVD" Jon Lech Johansen gives us a mention. Hi Jon, keep up the good work!
Plugins directory and instructions
FRAppliance_101 - Tutorial for creating new PlugIns
Please feel free to contribute! We are all learners at this stage ;-)
(Please put your projects here)
- How to upgrade hard drive with GUI tools($100) or CLI
- How to upgrade hard drive using command line. (more pictures)
- Macworld's in-depth (mostly CLI) hard drive upgrade tutorial with pics.
- InsanelyMac Apple TV resource compilation
- Apache on Apple TV
- Enable Internet Sharing (work in progress)
- Install Developer Tools (work in progress)
- Turbo's AppleTV hacks @ 0xfeedbeef. USB Keyboard works with these hacks!
- Linux on Apple TV (have a mac? run linux? apply within)
- ATVFiles Plugin to play back video files that are not in the Apple TV library.
- Project Patchstick a project to build a Darwin kernel plus tools to have a 100% legitimate way of enabling hacks on the ATV without opening the case (work in progress)
- How to set up the Apple TV skin for XBMC
- Backup your original Hard Drive Save a bit perfect image before you play!
- Prepare a Hard Drive for use in the AppleTV
- Enabling USB and boot from USB (External Hard Drive)
- Enable SSH Without Opening the Apple TV (work in progress)
- Configure Firewall
- Install SSH
- Install System Preferences
- Mount ReadWrite
- Mount a Remote Drive via AFP
- Mount a Remote Drive via NFS
- Replace Finder
- Enable Verbose Boot
- Enable AFP Server (Personal File Sharing)
- Enable WebDAV (Personal File Sharing - requires apache)
- Working with ASL (Syslog)
- Enable Remote Desktop (VNC)
- Enable Quartz Extreme and Quartz 2D Extreme (To Speed Up Certain Applications)
- How To 'Enable' Mouse Cursor/Pointer on the AppleTV
- Uncompress LZSS compressed files like mach_kernel.prelink
- AppleTV FrontRow on Intel Mac Installing ATV's FrontRow 2.0 UI on a Mac
- Install SSH without an Intel Mac
- Connect the Apple TV to a TV with Composite (Monochromatic Picture)
- Hardware Profile
- Sysctl output
- Various diskutil command results
- Power Usage
- Airport Card in MacBook Pro
- Apple TV OS 10.4.7
- Boot Process
- osputil command-line program to control the LED
- dmesg output
- Ps output
- glQuery output
- kextstat output
- kernel_settings.xml (by n8man)
- Media Library
- Open Source 10.4.8 Components you can install on Apple TV
Third party software
- Codec Sources
- Remote Buddy
- nano Excellent, lightweight text editor for scripts and such.
- vim Another classic text editor.
- MacPorts suggestions to bootstrap the MacPorts infrastructure natively
- Xbench 1.3 Benchmark
- Connecting drive to PowerPC Mac makes drive unbootable (successes reported inside as well)
- Apple TV HDMI "Green Screen" bug
Tried & Working Video
- 720p Xvid
- MKV with VLC (Coming in perian 1.0 for Quicktime)
- .vob(DVDrip) with VLC (Menu, subtitles, 5.1 surround working)