Install SSH without an Intel Mac
Revision as of 18:47, 31 March 2007 by Delfrick (New page: Ok so there are lots of guides around which will show you how to get an AppleTV up and running with an Intel Mac, but what if you don't have one? Installing sshd with a Windows XP box #F...)
Ok so there are lots of guides around which will show you how to get an AppleTV up and running with an Intel Mac, but what if you don't have one?
Installing sshd with a Windows XP box
- For now you will need to open up your AppleTV and remove the hard drive. This process is described here http://de.engadget.com/2007/03/23/how-to-upgrade-the-drive-in-your-apple-tv/
- Now for our next trick we need to mount the drive. Download Macdrive 7 trial version http://www.mediafour.com/support/trials_updates.asp This program is rather fragile, and its drivers don't play nice with Alcohol or Daemon Tools SCSI pass through drivers. If you have either of these installed you will have to remove them temporarily.
- Once the MacDrive software is installed, plug the hard drive into any 2.5" USB adapter/enclosure. Plug in the USB and the MacDrive software should recognize the OSBoot and Media partitions.
- Download the sshd from http://darwinsource.opendarwin.org/Roots/OpenSSH-56.root.tar.gz Extract the sshd file and copy it to OSBoot/usr/sbin
- Create the ssh.plist file as shown here http://wiki.awkwardtv.org/wiki/Install_SSH
- Return the drive to the AppleTV and start it up.
- You should now be able to access the AppleTV through ssh and scp.