HowTo install iTunes on AppleTV
This is a short guide to installing iTunes.app on an AppleTV.
The following instructions were tested on an AppleTV running 2.1. The version of iTunes required is dictated by the version of OSX running on the ATV (currently 10.4.7).
- iTunes 7.5
- /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/iPod.framework from an Intel Mac running 10.4.x
- SSH access to AppleTV
- Mouse connected to, or VNC access to the AppleTV
- Copy iTunes7.5.dmg to the appletv (via ssh or shared directory)
- $ hdiutil attach iTunes7.5.dmg # mount the DMG
- $ sudo installer -pkg /Volumes/iTunes\ 7.5/iTunes.mpkg -target / # install the pkg
- iTunes takes up quite a lot of space in the root partition, so you may want to move it to /Users/frontrow/Applications. This also allows you to run it from nitoTV.
- (sudo) copy iPod.framework into /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/
- Start a VNC session or connect a mouse
- /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/MacOS/iTunes # run iTunes