Enable USB Storage on 2.x
This how-to is a compilation of bits and pieces of other how-to's in this wiki, such as
In order to enable mounting external USB devices, you will need
- SSH access to the AppleTV, or its harddisk directly connected to your computer
- Turbo's .kext enabler
- Mac OS X Tiger - Intel extensions for USB mass storage I/O
Let's start with Turbo's Kext enabler.
- Download turbo_kext_enabler.bin for AppleTV 2.0.
- Copy it to the AppleTV in folder
/sbin/and check for the file's attributes:
sudo -s cd /sbin/ ls -l turbo_kext_enabler.bin
- You might want to change them to:
chown root:wheel turbo_kext_enabler.bin chmod 555 turbo_kext_enabler.bin
Turbo's USB patch doesn't work for AppleTV 2.0 yet.
This patch modifies
/mach_kernel.prelink on the AppleTV.
If this file isn't there yet, this means the system partition hasn't been forced to be mounted read/write yet.
Force it read/write:
ssh frontrow@AppleTV.local sudo -s touch /.readwrite reboot
/mach_kernel.prelink to your Mac