Couch Surfer is a native web browser written using the WebKit rendering engine and provides a rich web experience on the AppleTV.
The simplest way to install it on the Apple TV is to use aTV Flash
You can also install Couch Surfer on your SSH enabled Apple TV by following the steps below.
- Download the latest Couch Surfer AppleTV Plugin here
- Transfer it to the AppleTV vis SFTP
- Navigate to the place you'v copied it to:
- Extract it:
tar -xvzpf CouchSurferLite30.tar
- Move the extracted plugin to the proper place
mv CouchSurfer.frappliance /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/PlugIns/
- Make sure it has the correct ownerships
sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/PlugIns/CouchSurfer.frappliance
- Restart the Finder (or the AppleTV entirely)
kill `ps ax | grep Finder.app | grep -v grep | sed -e 's/[[:blank:]]*//' | sed -e 's/[[:blank:]].*//'`
After installation, you will have the new item
Couch Surfer in the Front Row main menu.
SubMenus in version 2.1 are:
- Enter address
- Google Search
- Bookmarks (based on
- Settings : Show Header, Header Position
Usage with the Remote is very intuitive.
Copyright 2008-2010 Fire Core, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
By downloading, installing or otherwise using Couch Surfer, you hereby agree to the Couch Surfer EULA.