- Combo pack which includes Perian, WMV and AC3 components. CAUTION: Web page disses Perian.
- Apple MPEG-2 playback codec, which costs money.
Move /System/Library/Quicktime/QuicktimeMPEG2.component to the AppleTV and restart. Tested playing a VOB file from a DVD. Video was extremely choppy but I believe that was because the file was being played from a AFP share mounted across my crappy wireless network.
Note: I've also tried the Apple MPEG-2 codec, but am getting very choppy video over a 100Mbit wired connection (NFS server). It's bad :( I can't tell the different between the wired and wireless playback attempts.
- Vorbis and Theora support (OGG).
- Matroska QuickTime Component Open Source Matroska QuickTime Component
- avc1Decoder Advanced AVC/H.264 decoder for Quicktime (based on ffmpeg-SVN’s libavcodec)
Can anyone confirm if avc1Decoder still plays back content at 5000kbps on the appleTV? My guess is that this codec would only be using the CPU and not the nvidia card, and therefore would only be able to handle less bitrate content.