AppleTV Take 2
For an introduction of the new features, have a look at the Macworld 2008 keynote:
The part about Apple TV 2 starts at 00:29:00.
The Apple TV product page has been updated to show the new menus (user interface):
What we Know
- Software Update for Apple TV has been released on Feb. 12th 2008.
- Apple TV can now behave like an Airport Express and appear in the iTunes speaker list. (awesome!)
- Patchstick boots up but SSH access couldn't be established at the moment.
- Recovery Parition remains at whatever it was orginally (no downgrade back to 1.0 problems)
- It will nuke any custom modifications (AFP/SSH/Plugins)
What we Don't Know
- Looks like a new framework (based on what the UI looks like), probably without headers this time
- Possibly will introduce code signing (http://developer.apple.com/releasenotes/Security/RN-CodeSigning/index.html)
Ideas come Release
- diff the update to a clean 1.1 install
- diff the update to a Safe 1.1 Update
- determine if a Safe 2.0 Update can be performed
- Test current frappliances on 2.0 (both clean 2.0 install and Safe 2.0 Update)
- Building a Patchstick from 2.0 Update (or combined with 1.1 Update) without the need of Intel-Mac files