Difference between revisions of "AppleTV OS 2.4"
(→Important Notes: Added note about IR Firmware update)
|Line 57:||Line 57:|
== Important Notes ==
== Important Notes ==
== Other Notes ==
== Other Notes ==
Latest revision as of 19:46, 8 November 2009
Released June 24, 2009
From Apple's changelog (see external link):
|Remote app directional control||Control your Apple TV with simple finger gestures via the Remote app. This feature requires Remote 1.3 running on an iPhone or iPod touch with iPhone OS 3.0.|
|Flickr Search||Search Flickr photo tags to find recently updated photos of interest. Save searches to quickly find new photos or use as a screen saver for Apple TV.|
|New view options||View movies By Genre, By Movie, or Unwatched. View TV Shows and Podcasts By Date, By Show, or Unwatched.|
|Updated transport and chapter modes||During video playback, click right or left to fast forward or rewind. Additional clicks increase the speed. Click down to show chapter markers.|
From MacRumors comments (see external link):
- "The update has now enabled the use of the on-screen iPhone keyboard for text input on the ATV!" (didn't this already work?)
- "You'll need to plug your patchstick back in, reboot, wait for the patchstick to install Launcher, reboot again, then update Launcher, Boxee and XBMC to the latest releases, (Boxee just put out a new release last night too)."
Confirmed working in 2.4:
- XBMC Media Center 9.04
- NitoTV Take 2 0.7.6+
- Isn't able to install Perian (0.7.9 is working for me).
- Boxee (updated version for 2.4, don't know version number)
- Boxee Twitter feed - "if you upgraded your Apple TV to 2.4: run patchstick again, update launcher, download latest boxee and you'll be back boxeeing"
- presumably version 0.9.12.6566?
- LaunchMore (install using PatchStickBuilder)
- Jaman updated version for 2.4
- Bluetooth (mouse, keyboard, etc)
- Firefox 3.x (incl. Flash 9.x and 10.x)
- please add your experiences here...
Problems/issues with in 2.4:
- Divx (Perian) has no audio when installed like this or by this article "Install_Perian". (it's maybe related to "fooled" files). (It is related to fooled files. Delete the first, empty, audio track and it will playback fine. - Stuwillis) (I solved this issue by changing the AAC audio track's language to French in QuickTime Player Pro. Then set the AppleTV to use English as the audio language and it will play the MP3 track. I've posted an AppleScript on the Talk page that automates the changing of the AAC Track 1 to French. - Greg. Also: Greg's hack can be applied to AppleTV fooler and VideoDrive by editing the file they append to the start of the video--nothing.mov or ATVintro.mov--and changing the language to french. [Both files can be viewed with 'Show Package contents and then Contents->Resources] - Tom.)
- SoftwareMenu right from atvusb-creator (mac b10) causes Finder to crash, had to ssh and remove frappliance, then downloaded latest version and it is OK now
- ATVFiles (Version 1.2.0 (479)) crashes when browsing files (I think Nito explained this on the forum, need new release, I saw ATVFiles had some changes in svn today, hope release is soon) FIXED need to update to ATVFiles ( Version 1.2.1 )
- Apple Support Article HT3187 - About Apple TV software updates
- MacRumors - Apple TV 2.4 Update Now Available, Updated Remote App with Gestures (with comments)
- Ars Technica - Gesture around like a loon with Apple TV 2.4 update (with comments)
- Boxee Apple TV discussion forum
unplayedPodcastImage in BRThemeInfo replaced with unplayedVideoImage
The upgrade process to AppleTV OS 2.4 requires an IR Receiver Firmware update that can be found here:
Without this firmware update, the 2.4 OS will not recognize any remote control signals and will not be usable.
There are other updates that may be required, too, depending on what your base OS version is. These are all the same as the 2.1 and 2.2 process and can be found here:
dmg name: 2Z694-5660-029.dmg