AwkwardTV Loader Appliance
June 26th, 2007
This appliance is Copyright © 2007 Alan Quatermain. All Rights Reserved.
This appliance will enable you to download and install new appliances from the comfort of your armchair. It accesses the AwkwardTV Plugin List and uses the information there to browse and install new appliance plugins. It also provides the ability to dynamically enable and disable both SSH and AFP support, and is able to install sshd if it is not already present. At present, however, it is recommended that users install their own version of sshd; in a future release this appliance will have the option of installing Dropbear sshd instead, which is known to be more reliable than the OpenDarwin version currently included.
The appliance was designed to be the payload installed by the Patchstick. The reasoning behind this is that the Patchstick should plug in, show a nice video, and ask the user to reboot & remove. After this point, there should be something the user can interact with to do the various AppleTV hacking-related tasks, such as enabling the built-in AFP servers, or installing an SSH server. Thus was the ATV Loader appliance born.
This plugin was developed by Alan Quatermain of AwkwardTV. It includes a copy of unzip by C. Spieler at Info-ZIP, and a copy of OpenDarwin sshd. The latter will be replaced by DropBear in a later build.
Images were created by BigBaconAndEggs of AwkwardTV. Hosting provided courtesy of Dakaix. Many thanks to Dakaix and macTijn of AwkwardTV for their assistance in testing, and to all at AwkwardTV for their patience while I put this together.
- Implemented Main Menu workaround.
- Added Dutch localization courtesy of macTijn at AwkwardTV.
- Fixed a resource fork handling bug with some zip archives.
- Setup a custom User-Agent for downloads, to aid in logging: "Mozilla/5.0 (AppleTV; U; Intel Mac OS X; ATVLoader)".
- Fixed handling of self-updates. This version will be able to update itself happily now, while previous versions would not set the correct privileges on the SetupHelper tool after installation.
- Fixed a bug with URL redirection and the new AwkwardTV download counter.
- Added 'Updated' flag to plugins which have a newer version available on the server than the user is currently running.
- Added French localization by GoldstarQC, German by therealkerni, and Spanish by dordoka.
- Updated to work with AppleTV software version 1.1 (BackRow v2.1).
- Added Danish translation by Valdemar.
- Added Italian localization by kluis.
- Fixed a bug in the sshd installation procedure.
- Fixed an ATV Software 1.1 compatibility bug.
- Added Swedish translation by fooBar.
- Uninstallation support.
- QuickTime component installation & management.
- ScreenSaver installation & management.
The official page for ATV Loader is located at http://blog.alanquatermain.net/atvloader/. This page includes screenshots and installation instructions.
For up-to-date information on this and other projects, visit http://alanquatermain.net/.
Copyright © 2007 Alan Quatermain. All Rights Reserved.
Icons by BigBaconAndEggs of AwkwardTV.
AppleTV is a registered trademark of Apple, Inc. AppleTV and BackRow are Copyright © 2006-2007 Apple, Inc.
Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software, including the rights to use, copy, publish, and/or distribute copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software. The Software may not be offered for sale, either singly or as part of a larger package, under the terms of this license.
THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.
The author is in no way affiliated with Apple, Inc.