Version 0.1.0 (2)
March 30, 2007
Copyright (c) 2007 Eric Steil III (ericiii.net)
Simple file browser plugin for Apple TV Finder. Think XBMC, it can play video files without transcoding and syncing/streaming them. Perian (http://perian.org) and A52Codec (http://trac.cod3r.com/a52codec/) are highly recommended.
See http://wiki.awkwardtv.org/ for more details.
1. Copy ATVFiles.frappliance to this folder:
/System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/PlugIns on the Apple TV. You may want to create a symlink from there to some more convenient place.
2. Restart Finder.
ps awx|grep Finder will list the PID as the first number,
kill PID will kill it.
Enter the new "Files" menu on the main menu.
It lists files in /Users/frontrow/Movies, so mount or put your video files in that folder.
0.1.0 (2) March 30, 2007
- First release
- AFP mounts don't seem to show up if they're in a location symlinked to. Mount them directly under Movies instead.
- Non-video files are played back using the QT player.
- No previews, etc.
- The icon is ugly and scaled way up.
NSGenericException: backtracingis raised during Finder startup. This is normal.
In no particular order:
- Implement media previews and fill in the blank space on the left side of the screen.
- Non-video playback support?
Right now, it's free to use, however don't redistribute it without my permission.
This program is provided at your own risk. The author claims no responsibility for any damage or other outcome that may occur from use of this software.
The author is not affiliated with Apple, Inc.
Thanks to alan_quatermain (#awkwardtv) for his magic code to bypass the plugin whitelist.
The source code is not yet available. I have not yet decided on anything on that matter. I do not have any plans to charge for the plugin though, so don't worry about that.