Version 0.2.2 (8)
April 11, 2007
Screenshot gallery: http://www.tuaw.com/photos/atv-files-beta/
Copyright (c) 2007 Eric Steil III (ericiii.net)
Simple file browser plugin for Apple TV Finder. Think XBMC, it can play video files without transcoding and syncing/streaming them.
Please note that ATVFiles does not provide the codecs. Perian (http://perian.org) and A52Codec (http://trac.cod3r.com/a52codec/) are highly recommended to be installed to provide support for a wide variety of codecs.
See http://wiki.awkwardtv.org/ for more details.
Engadget has posted a pretty good tutorial on setting ATVFiles up from scratch on an unmodified Apple TV: http://www.engadget.com/2007/04/10/how-to-play-divx-and-xvid-on-your-apple-tv/
1. Copy ATVFiles.frappliance to this folder:
/System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/PlugIns on the Apple TV. You may want to create a symlink from there to some more convenient place.
2. Restart Finder.
ps awx|grep [F]inder will list the PID as the first number, then running
kill PID will kill it. The Finder will be automatically restarted.
If you have the Apple TV drive mounted on your local system, the correct path is on the OSBoot volume.
If you have the drive installed in the Apple TV, you will likely have to mount the root partition as read-write (using sudo /sbin/mount -uw /) to copy it. The command sudo /sbin/mount -ur / will reverse the above action.
Enter the new "Files" menu on the main menu.
It lists files in /Users/frontrow/Movies, so mount or put your video files in that folder.
ATVFiles looks for cover art in either JPG, TIFF, or PNG formats. It looks for specific filenames of the following formats (the jpg extension is an example, and can be either jpg, tif, tiff, or png):
For folders: Either folder.jpg or cover.jpg in the folder.
For other files: The same as the filename without the extension, and the image extension (jpg, tif, tiff, png). For instance, anchorman-xvid.avi would look for anchorman-xvid.jpg for cover art.
The preferences can be set using the defaults command, such as:
defaults write net.ericiii.ATVFiles RootDirectory /mnt/Server
Finder needs to be restarted to pick up any changes.
The preferences available are:
RootDirectory: The path it looks at when first entering the plugin.
- Defaults to /Users/frontrow/Movies
EnableAC3Passthrough: Boolean (unused, for future use)
- Default: NO
EnableFileDurations: Boolean, disable scanning files for their duration, as it can be slow.
- Default: YES
ShowFileExtensions: Boolean, show filename extensions
- Default: YES
ShowFileSize: Boolean, show file size
- Default: YES
VideoExtensions: Array of file extensions (without leading ".") that are video files.
- Default: (m4v, 3gp, m3u, pls, divx, xvid, avi, mov, wmv, asx, asf, ogm, mpg, mpeg, mp4, mkv, avc, flv, dv, fli, m2v, ts)
AudioExtensions: Array of file extensions (without leading ".") that are audio files.
- Default: (m4b, m4a, mp3, wma, wav, aif, aiff, flac, alac, m3u, mp2)
Note: Files with extensions not listed in either VideoExtensions or AudioExtensions are not displayed. Just because an extension is listed does not mean it will play without appropriate components installed, the list is mostly copied from XBMC.
When updating the VideoExtensions and AudioExtensions pref, you must include all default items (if you want them), the defaults will not be used if you override them. You also must use the array options (-array and -array-add) to defaults to update them. The extensions should also be listed in lowercase.
0.2.2 (8) April 11, 2007
- Added French and Spanish localizations
- Fix problem with absolute symlinks
- Use natural sorting for files with numbers
- Add preferences to hide filename extensions and file sizes
0.2.1 (6) April 8, 2007
- Added Japanese localizations
- Fixed case-sensitivity when matching valid filename extensions
- Fixed a minor problem with certain symlinks
- Changed EnableFileDurations default to NO until metadata is cached
- Fixed not finding cover art when folder name contains [, ], ? or *.
0.2.0 (5) April 8, 2007
- Don't show the menu item when viewing remote sources
- This can be changed by setting the value of FRRemoteAppliance in Info.plist to <true/>
- Cleaner plugin whitelist handling that doesn't raise an exception
- Add basic metadata preview, including cover art
- Don't show Movies folder title as root ATVFiles menu title (match root menu title)
- Update icon to a non-Apple icon, and show it on all menu titles
- Add basic German and Dutch localizations
- Filter filenames based on extension to predefined list
- Added preferences to deal with root directory
- Distribute as .tar.gz instead of .dmg
- Change directory content scanning method, fixes some AFP problems but not all.
0.1.0 (2) March 30, 2007
- First release
- Files on AFP shares sometimes don't play even if they show up and are supported.
- Non-video files are played back using the QT player.
- With certain combinations of codec and source location, there can be some lag when browsing menus and looking at the previews.
- Files and folders with non-ascii characters may not play or be readable properly.
- (0.3) Add code necessary to enable AC3 Passthrough with recent A52Codec svn builds.
- (0.3) Add persistent metadata caching, and read more metadata from media files (or external metadata file, like cover art)
- Use media parades for folders without explicit cover art?
- Non-video playback support?
Right now, it's free to use, however don't redistribute it without my permission.
For support please use either the IRC channel or this page's talk page. Please do not contact me via e-mail for support with the plugin. Thanks :)
This program is provided at your own risk. The author claims no responsibility for any damage or other outcome that may occur from use of this software.
The author is not affiliated with Apple, Inc.
- alan_quatermain (#awkwardtv) for his magic code to bypass the plugin whitelist.
- BigBaconAndEggs (#awkwardtv) for the new icon.
- jsh, Marco Schreijen, tomoto, GoldstarQC and elchubi for translations.
The source code is not yet available. I have not yet decided on anything on that matter. I do not have any plans to charge for the plugin though, so don't worry about that.
You might also want to look at Mount_a_Remote_Drive_via_AFP
If you wish, you may donate to ATVFiles via PayPal here.