Talk:Step by Step Guide to Playing DivX Files from a NAS
Nice guide, some comments:
- Isn't it easier for Windows Users to use WinSCP (GUI) instead of pscp (command line)? See WinSCP Screenshots.
- Anybody who thinks vi(m) is a too complicated editor should try Nano. Nano is much simpler.
- Using Sharity is not needed anymore, we can use mount_smbfs now.
--Mcka 11:56, 10 October 2007 (CEST)
Thanks. And to you, nice format editing to the guide. Trying to figure out how you did it.
- I'm not aware of WinSCP. I'll check it out. I like pscp and putty because no installation necessary, just raw exectutables.
- About sharity vs mount_smbfs. I don't think it is as simple as copying mount_smbfs to the AppleTV and using it in a similar fashion as sharity? Don't you have to do kextloading and kernel things? Either way you have to copy something to the AppleTV and sharity will work seemlessly for NFS or SMB. I read the pages about smbfs and kextloading and appreciate the work that went into them, but was lost at implementing it.
- I just went and read about kextloading and using mount_smbfs. That method is a more involved complicated project. You have to copy over many files and do some extensive file editing. The page isn't as step by step and leads you to Turbo's own page for instruction. The benefit is you can add other kernel extensions. If your needs stop at mounting a share, sharity and automounter are simpler.