Sapphire Browser is a plug-in designed to take all the hassle out of managing media collections connected to your AppleTV. Sapphire has the ability to identify TV Shows and Movies* simply by looking at the filename. Once identified, Sapphire will download show/movie* information and cover art (from TVRage /IMDB /IMPAwards) turning your stale file list into something worth looking at. Sapphire Browser also has the ability to filter out watched media files from several different directory trees and intuitively display them. Additionally Sapphire allows for marking favorite files that can also be viewed in a filtered menu. Media playback has also been improved allowing the user to fast-forward through shows at a constant (aggregated) rate independent of the file duration.
Sapphire Browser beta 7.6 now supports AppleTV 3.0
Sapphire Browser is now an open source project. Details can be found here.
The latest version of Sapphire is available on its download page.
Comments and any bug reports would be greatly appreciated. Submit a Report
More screenshots of the UI can be found Here.
Sapphire uses some gem icons to identify files. Here is a short description on what each color signifies:
- Blue Gems - Mark Unwatched files.
- Yellow Gems - Mark Favorite files that have already been watched.
- Red Gems - Mark files that have already been watched and are not favorites.
- Blue Gems - Mark directories containing any unwatched files.
- Yellow Gems - Mark directories with favorite files and no unwatched files.
- Red Gems - Mark directories that contain files that have been watched and are not favorites.
Sapphire now supports ATVFiles's cover art naming convention.
- Directories will use an image with the name cover.ext
- Files will use an image with the name <FileName>.ext
Sapphire will also attempt to download cover art (for files only) automatically from TVRage.com. Any cover art that the fetch tool finds will be placed in a directory @ the same level of the file.
If we have the following files:
- /TV Shows/Rome/Season 1/Rome.S01E01.avi
- /TV Shows/Rome/Season 1/Rome.S01E02.avi
- /TV Shows/Rome/Season 1/Rome.S01E03.avi
- /TV Shows/Rome/Season 1/Rome.S01E04.avi
- /TV Shows/Rome/Season 1/Rome.S01E05.avi
The Fetch tool will find and make a cover art directory with the following:
- /TV Shows/Rome/Season 1/Cover Art/Rome.S01E01.ext
- /TV Shows/Rome/Season 1/Cover Art/Rome.S01E02.ext
- /TV Shows/Rome/Season 1/Cover Art/Rome.S01E03.ext
- /TV Shows/Rome/Season 1/Cover Art/Rome.S01E04.ext
- /TV Shows/Rome/Season 1/Cover Art/Rome.S01E05.ext
Folder Cover Art
Folder cover art for the most part works exactly as it does in ATVFiles. The only difference is that files inside a respective folder will default to the folder's cover art if it doesn't have its own specific (<filename>.ext) to display. This mechanism allows episodes to inherit cover art from two directories above itself.
If we have the following directories:
- /TV Shows/Heroes/Season 1/cover.ext
- /TV Shows/Heroes/Season 1/
- /TV Shows/Lost/cover.ext
- /TV Shows/Lost/Season 2/
Sapphire will display the respective covers if the directories don't have their own cover art. If a cover.ext doesn't exist the browser will default to the Sapphire icon.
To get better results fetching show information from TVRage.com we have chosen to specifically support three typical naming schemes.
For further details see: Sapphire File Naming Conventions
- Populate File Data - This tool is used to preform a search of your directory to gather meta data info.
- Fetch TV Show Data - This tool is used to get episode information and episode cover art from TVRage.com.
- Fetch Movie Data - This tool is used to get mvoie information and posters from IMDB.com.
- Hide Collections - Lets the user choose which collections to hide on the main menu.
- Don't Import Collections - Lets the user choose which collections to skip with the import tools.
- Skip "Favorite Shows Filter" - Removes the Favorite Shows browser from the predicate toggle.
- Skip "Unwatched Shows Filter" - Removes the Unwatched Shows browser from the predicate toggle.
- Hide Show Spoilers - Removes the movie plot / episode summary from the media preview.
- Hide Audio Info - Removes the audio information from the media preview.
- Hide Video Info - Removes the video information from the media preview.
- Hide "UI Quit" - Removes the UI reset option from the main menu.
- Enable AC3 Passthrough - Turns on AC3 passthrough for files that have AC3 data.
- Disable Anonymous Reporting - Turns off the anonymous filename reporting (used for debugging and developing future Sapphire features)
Step-by-step instructions on how to install Sapphire.
Installing Sapphire in Leopard
- Installing Sapphire on a Mac Running Leopard
Installing Sapphire AppleTV
These instructions assume you have already patched your AppleTV using one of the methods described on this wiki (EX: Patchstick/Testing ).
- Installing Sapphire on an AppleTV
- Frequently asked Questions can be found here
Crashing when importing
A common problem seems to be crashing when importing - hanging and eventually killing FrontRow / Finder. If you go to ~user/Library/Application Support/Sapphire and delete meraData.plist, this may solve your problem. You will also keep show data (useful time saver if you have many files), although you will lose watched / unwatched items and some settings.