It is actually rather hard to get the hostname to change properly on the AppleTV but I finally found the settings that need to be changed. So, to change your hostname do the following, replacing the default AppleTV.local with the new hostname.
- Set the hostname in unix, this won't actually change anything, but it's best to have them all the same.
sudo hostname AppleTV.local
- Either copy the following file to OSX to edit it, or use a editor on the AppleTV.
- Find the Root->System section.
- Under Network->HostNames change LocalHostName to AppleTV
- Under System change ComputerName to AppleTV
- Reboot the AppleTV
--Dr Omega 05:22, 19 March 2008 (CET)