The AppleTV should make an ideal platform on which to play DVD content stored nearby on some networked storage. Features should include:
- Accessing DVD content from either VIDEO_TS folders or ISO images of DVDs
- Browsing of DVD libraries on one or more remote desktop machines or storage servers
- Cover art
- Display of other metadata such as actors, directors etc.
Having been thinking about this for a while it seems that there are two plausible paths:
- Wrapper the code in something like like VLC
- Use Apple's own DVD Playback framework
Both cases will require some user interface work but it seems likely that the later option will be a smaller task since the DVD functionality is more neatly packaged. There is also a handy example on which to base this work provided by Apple.
- What should the user interface look like, given the limitations of the Apple remote control?
- What is the legal position of reusing Apple's DVD Playback Framework?
- What features are needed or desirable for the DVD library navigation?
- Would it be possible to connect a external USB DVD-ROM to playback from?