To install, just copy the plug-in to /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/PlugIns on your Apple TV.
After it's in place on the Apple TV, you need to restart Finder (either with killall Finder if you have killall installed, otherwise use ps awx|grep Finder to get the PID and then kill PID.)
http://plugins.awkwardtv.org/ (Submit yours here)
We are working on a plug-in that accesses this directory and installs/updates plug-ins online.
Ideas for Plug-ins
(Please comment if you are working on one of these)
Without fully knowing what kind of capabilities are possible, here are some suggested plugins. Someone with some more development knowledge can perhaps update this section letting us know what capabilities we have here (can we run any objective-c code? Can we display anything, or are we limited to the list view?) Can we enable dashboard over the ATVs default finder app? that would take care of many of these small plugins.
|FYI #1: When adding plug-in ideas please keep in mind that a plug-in (aka appliance) is for the most part it's own UNIQUE entity. What does that mean? In short once a specific .appliance has been selected/chosen from the AppleTV main menu, that process/program/plugin/appliance is in charge. In other-words only ONE SINGLE 'appliance' can be in operation at any one time. It is however QUITE possible for a appliance author to write an appliance that will in turn launch any number of other OS X (command line **AND/OR** GUI) applications.|
|FYI #2: Plugins requests that deal with things that 'pop stuff up' over the top of something that is already playing movie, music, photo slideshow, etc... A plug-in (appliance) can not modify or add functionality to an existing plug-in. For example an oft requested plug-in is a 'CALLER-ID' plug-in. This simply can NOT EXIST (not in the form of a plug-in anyway) - remember if someone did write a growl (or caller-id) plugin then once you 'enter it' it would also have to have the ability to play movies, music, photo slideshows etc because you couldn't use the Apple supplied ones (not without exiting out from the CALLER-ID plug-in first).|
|FYI #3: Doesn't the AppleTV have a screen saver that pops up over the top of ANY plug-in no matter what plug-in is running? Yes as a matter of fact it does BUT the screen-saver is NOT a appliance/plug-in its some other form of addon. It's not know (to this author) if the way screen-savers work would be a way to implement things like CALLER-ID type functionality.|
Audio & Video Support: (local)
- DVD Playback - From VIDEO_TS or ISO image.
- See Plugins/DVDPlayback for some initial thoughts
- EyeTV - perhaps the Source of CyTV is a start
- Camera - Multi-pane web cam viewer.
- View all your home network web cams in a multi pane security monitor style setup.
- Camera - Security Camera Video Surveillance
- Quartz Composer Compositions (.qtz files)
- Slingbox Player
- Network Image/Video Player - HTTP image/video sniffer.
- Displays any image files sniffed off the network as a slide show.
- Video Diary - Connect an iSight, and make a video diary.
- Squeezebox - SlimServer Now Playing-plugin
- Displaying currently playing artist, song, album art etc. Communicate with the SlimServer thru the CLI, telnet to port 9090.
Audio & Video Support: (internet)
YouTube Popular Video Browser- (possibly available via vodcasts, e.g. bestofyoutube.com)
- Xdog 11:02, 9 May 2007 (EST) I have a youtube plug-in working now. Am preparing to release it soon.
- Easyschmooze.com Player - Plug-in to list subscriptions & stream videos
- Netflix streaming rentals.
- Flickr Plugin, can be configured with a flickr account and play/stream photos just like the synced AppleTV photos.
- Zattoo Player (probably only works in Switzerland)
- Joost wrapper of some sort (0.9 already has Apple Remote support)
Non-Video Information Display: (local)
- System Stats (load, drive space, memory, IP, etc)
- Address Book - See this unix tool for accessing the OS X addressbook
- Alarm clock and fall asleep to playlist.
- Network traffic visualizer.
- A Network Activity Monitor - Concept Image Here
- Norton Commander like file-manager
- GUI Network share mounter (uses ATV onscreen QWERTZ keyboard)
- a dialog-alike frappliance - see Plugins/ATVDialog for ideas
Non-Video Information Display: (internet)
- Usenet client plugin
- Google Earth plugin.
- BitTorrent client
- Ebay item watcher plugin.
- RSS Reader
- Simple Web Browser (based on webkit, loads bookmarks, no text input) - See Plugins/SimpleBrowser for some interface suggestions if anyone wants to have a go at implementing
- Weather Plug-in - Source for a ROKU HD with location entry Can this be ported ??
- A Dashboard like plugin that accepts multiple dashboard like widgets. (Running actual Dashboard widgets would bring a huge number of existing 'apps'. Dashboard Widgets run in a WebKit view, so this seems like it should be pretty achievable.)
Proposal: Existing Dashboard Widgets would provide a lot of momentum
A lot of the functionality above (and a huge amount more) could be delivered by enabling existing Dashboard widgets. With the addition of a 'Dashboard' menu item, the user could browse a list of installed widgets, clicking on one would show it centred on the screen.
Pressing << / >> could switch back and forth between installed widgets, rather than require the user to switch back to the Dashboard menu, every time.
This would add a huge amount of functionality, and provide a pretty slick UI in the process; 'most' Dashboard Widgets would look great on an LCD/Plasma around the size of the ATV menu graphics, on the same dark background (perhaps even with a reflection added, for final polish.)
FWIW I'd suggest that a Dashboard plugin would have tremendous pay-off, assuming there are not major complications.
Games & Emulators
- MAME Loader - List selection of roms to play.
- Work is being done on this!
- SNES Loader - List selection of roms to play.
Maintaince & Other
- A plug-in downloader and maintainer (See Patchstick for more info)
- Plug-in manager, so that you don't have all yout plugins in the main menu
- iChat or Jabber
- Salling Clicker or Romeo
- Airtunes Adapter/Integration with Movies
- Adding and Editing Playlists in the BackRow Frontend (later usable on 10.5 Frontrow?)- See Plugins/Playlists for some interface suggestions if anyone wants to have a go at implementing
- Ability to mirror mac display. View games that you play on your mac on your big screen TV over the network. This would look like death
FRAppliance 101 - a great introduction to writing plugins.
ericIII from the AwkwardTV crew has created a plug-in for the Apple TV that, like Sabertooth’s plugin, hooks into the main Apple TV GUI. However, this one plays videos, and sports a (for now, hardcoded) list of .AVI files that are not located in the Media Library.
ApplianceTest Source Code.