To install, just copy the plug-in to /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/PlugIns on your Apple TV.
After it's in place on the Apple TV, you need to restart Finder (either with killall Finder if you have killall installed, otherwise use ps awx|grep Finder to get the PID and then kill PID.)
http://plugins.awkwardtv.org/ (Submit yours here)
We are working on a plug-in that accesses this directory and installs/updates plug-ins online.
Ideas for Plug-ins
(Please comment if you are working on one of these)
Without fully knowing what kind of capabilities are possible, here are some suggested plugins. Someone with some more development knowledge can perhaps update this section letting us know what capabilities we have here (can we run any objective-c code? Can we display anything, or are we limited to the list view?) Can we enable dashboard over the ATVs default finder app? that would take care of many of these small plugins
- DVD Playback - From VIDEO_TS or ISO image. See Plugins/DVDPlayback for some initial thoughts
- OSX Mame loader, list provides selection of roms to play
- YouTube Popular video browser
- Weather Plug-in - Source for a ROKU HD with location entry Can this be ported ??
- System Stats (load, drive space, memory, etc)
- Simple Web Browser (based on webkit, loads bookmarks, no text input) - See Plugins/SimpleBrowser for some interface suggestions if anyone wants to have a go at implementing
- A plug-in downloader and maintainer (See Patchstick for more info)
- A plug-in to list your subscriptions and stream videos from Easyschmooze.com
RSS Readersee here
- iChat or Jabber
- A Network Activity Monitor Concept Image Here
- Security Camera Video Surveillance
- Salling Clicker or Romeo
- Address Book - See this unix tool for accessing the OS X addressbook
- EyeTV - perhaps the Source of CyTV is a start
- Plug-in manager, so that you don't have all yout plugins in the main menu
- BitTorrent client
- Player for Quartz Composer Compositions ( .qtz files )
- Player for Slingbox
- Zattoo Player (works probably only in Switzerland)
- Airtunes Adapter/Integration with Movies
- Norton Commander like file-manager
- GUI Network share mounter (uses ATV onscreen QWERTZ keyboard)
- Adding and Editing Playlists in the BackRow Frontend (later usable on 10.5 Frontrow?)- See Plugins/Playlists for some interface suggestions if anyone wants to have a go at implementing
- A Joost wrapper of some sort (0.9 already has Apple Remote support)
- Google Earth plugin.
- HTTP image/video sniffer. Displays any image files sniffed off the network as a slide show.
- Network traffic visualizer.
- Multi-pane web cam viewer. View all your home network web cams in a multi pane security monitor style setup.
- Ebay item watcher plugin.
- Ability to mirror mac display. View games that you play on your mac on your big screen TV over the network.
- A Dashboard like plugin that accepts multiple dashboard like widgets.
- Video Diary plugin. Connect an iSight, and make a video diary.
FRAppliance 101 - a great introduction to writing plugins.
ericIII from the AwkwardTV crew has created a plug-in for the Apple TV that, like Sabertooth’s plugin, hooks into the main Apple TV GUI. However, this one plays videos, and sports a (for now, hardcoded) list of .AVI files that are not located in the Media Library.
ApplianceTest Source Code.