Mount a Remote Drive via SMBFS
This section deals with possible solutions to handle mounting of SMBFS ('Windows shares') on the ATV.
Users familiar with kexts will know from experience that a stock 10.4.7 or 10.4.8 smbfs.kext will not load/link against the ATV kernel.
The current solution is to therefore use a userland smbfs mounter. There are a number to choose from - Sharity 3, DAVE, etc.
Commercial SMB Clients
Not tested for obvious reasons.
Here follows the procedure to mount windows shares using Sharity Light:
- Download v1.3 @ http://www.obdev.at/products/sharity-light/index.html
- Unpack (tested on an Intel 10.4.8 system) and edit the Makefile - comment out NextStep section, uncomment OSX section
- Run make. It will bomb out. cd to nfs, run make, cd .., run make, and test ./shlight
- sftp shlight to your ATV, to /usr/sbin
- SSH into the ATV, and mount your drives as frontrow (this is a userland app)
e.g. /usr/sbin/shlight //192.168.1.1/Share /Users/frontrow/Movies/MountedShare
- Fire up ATVFiles and browse your content
If necessary, automate the mount by placing the above command in your /etc/rc.local